Monday, January 5, 2009

01.05.09

Well, it was back to school for me today. Prior to break I had cleaned up the desktops of the lab computers...it had become similar to "Where's Waldo?" for my students trying to find files. Going in today and seeing those clean desk tops really felt good. Like I was getting the new year off to a good start. The kids also appreciated it, "Finally Mrs. Jensen!"

I have to share this story because it was a missed photo opportunity. Today definitely felt like a Monday. I was running late and anxious to get to school. One of the roads I travel on has several curves. When I came around one of the corners there was a large SUV stopped right in the middle of the road. (Don't worry mother, I wasn't driving crazy.) I'm thinking, "What the heck? You people are going to cause an accident and I'm running late. Move!" There appeared to be an adult and child in the vehicle, so I couldn't get too upset...could be from my school. Slowing down I finally noticed the reason they were stopped. There was a deer standing about 2 feet off the road just looking at them, munching away on some grass. My first thought...get out of the road, I'm late! Second, thought...that would make a great picture for my blog. And my third thought...relax!! Let them enjoy this wonderful scene. Wildlife was a daily event for me growing up on a farm in Eastern Colorado. This deer could have been the first one they had ever seen...and I was trying to hurry them up. (And don't get me wrong, I love to watch the deer along this road - they are usually there several times a week.) They ended up heading down the road and I was very tempted to stop, but I could hear my mother's voice telling me it wouldn't be safe. Anyway, to wrap up the story, I realized that I need to give others the time to enjoy the things around them, appreciate their surroundings, create their own memories - even if it means being another minute or two late for me.







Turbo Tagger

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I guess it does pay to keep telling your children things. Thanks for listening, thanks for being more patient than I am. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been a great picture, even better would have been a picture of you behind them watching this and your different reactions...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what I am enjoying more--the photos or the stories. Both, but that begs the question: am I more visual than verbal. Before this challenge, I would have known the answer.

    ReplyDelete