Wednesday, December 30, 2009

12.30.09

Traditions

The December assignment for the 2009/365 flickr photo group was to take a photo of a family tradition. This photo is of my sisters' and my stockings. These were made by mother years ago and are only three in the family collection. The first stockings obviously belonged to my mom and dad - then the three girls - then their three husbands - and last year, their grandson.

As kids, my sisters and I were Santa for my parents. We would rummage through my mother's craft supplies or pick up odds and ends at the local Ben Franklin's store...planning some sort of great-crafted gift. There was a great deal of plastic, Popsicle sticks and glue involved. How times of changed...

On Christmas Eve we would attach them to the handle of wooden spoons that were stuck into the wood burning fire place. (Don't worry...the fire wasn't going.) As we begin to celebrate our Christmas morning in other locations, outside of my childhood home, they find new hanging spots.

No matter what gifts they contain or where they are hung, the red and white felt stockings are an important tradition to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment